06 August 2014

Easy Summer Meals: Loubieh Wa Hommus Bi-Ziet with Quinoa

Sorry about the long hiatus! The last bit of this year and this summer have been positively crazy, but I'm back to blogging since I'll have more time now.


I'm preparing to move, full-time, to my apartment in Boston, so I'm taking the time to enjoy a few last outings with my friends and a few last adventures in my kitchen. 


Lately, I've been on a Lebanese food kick, which has led me to make Sfeeha (Meat Pies, which G and my family so kindly tried and approved of), Hommus and Fatoush (which you'll see above in Tupperware containers, as I knew I'd be eating them for a week)...and today, Loubieh! 


For those of you who aren't familiar with Loubieh, it's a stew made with green beans, olive oil, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and spices. To tonight's pot, I added Ceci for a little extra protein. 

I've adapted the recipe from ones I found on Saveur, Rose Water & Orange Blossoms, The Moveable Feasts, The Old Ways, and a handful of other sites. 

For the Loubieh, you'll need: 
1/4 C Olive Oil (I used Organic EVOO from Costco)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp minced garlic 
1 medium yellow onion, sliced very thinly
Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
Approx. 2 Tbs. Tomato Paste (I added it to taste)
Smoked Paprika to taste (Simply because I have an insane amount of it in the house)
Lebanese 7 Spice Mix to taste...
         Or you can do what I did and mix together 1 tsp. each 
            -Ground Allspice
            -Black Pepper
            -Cinnamon
            -Nutmeg
            -Ground Ginger
            -Sumac
         And, again, add to taste.
2 lb Green Beans, Trimmed and Cleaned
1 Jar Marinara Sauce (I used Trader Joe's Traditional Marinara, simply because it's very, very plain and natural.)
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1 15 Oz. Can Ceci (Garbanzo Beans)
1.5 Cups Water, or as much as you need. 

Here's what you do...
Get out an 8-Qt. Saucepan, and put your oil and cumin in. 
Turn on the stove and bring the mixture to medium-high heat, stirring for a minute until you can really smell the cumin. 

Add in your garlic, onion, salt and pepper, and cook until the garlic and onion are lightly browned. This should take 12 minutes or so. 

Add in your tomato paste, paprika, 7 spice mix (or my in-a-pinch modification), and stir the mixture until the tomato paste becomes slightly caramelized. 

Add in the green beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, ceci, and as much water as you'll need to bring the mixture to a boil. 

Reduce your heat (to medium-low) and cook until very tender (up to 1 hour). Cover the pot partially and stir every so often.

Then, let the mixture sit for a bit (15 or so minutes) so the flavors will meld together. 

Serve it over rice, quinoa (as I did), or your favorite grain, and enjoy!



This is a pretty simple recipe, and as I've been finding with the Lebanese food I've been making, is amazing even when reheated. 

Have fun!

Xx Caroline








No comments:

Post a Comment